An oil filter is an important component of your vehicle’s system and contributes to the efficient functioning of your car. Similar to many other elements of your vehicle, the oil filter also needs to be replaced in a timely manner. But choosing the right oil filter for your vehicle will allow you to get the most out of a buck.
But when you search for the best oil filter, you are likely to come across hundreds of options. So how will you choose the best product?
This is where we come to your rescue. We have carefully and practically analyzed some of the best oil filter options for the diesel engine. And in this detailed article, we will be reviewing the top 8 oil filters that you can consider.
In the further sections, we have also added a buying guide and other important information that will help you make an informed decision.
Best Diesel Oil Filter Reviews in 2021
1. Motorcraft FL2016 Oil Filter
Motorcraft is one of the reckoned companies in this industry. The product is designed for vehicles powered by diesel. Similar to all the products offered by the company, the oil filter adheres to the quality standards laid out by Ford. The filter comes with a pressure-relief valve that ensures that no impurities are circulated back to the engine.
Moreover, it assists in maintaining a proper oil supply, particularly during harsh weather conditions or in case the oil filter gets clogged. This is a durable oil filter that can easily remove metal particles, fine dust, etc., and protect your engine from getting damaged.
It comes with a painted case to mitigate rust buildup. Moreover, the fact that it features a fluted design allows the unit to be compatible with different types of engines.
- Maintain a proper supply of oil in extreme weather conditions.
- The steel ironed outer casing offers resistance to rust.
- The silicone anti-drain back valves protect the oil from draining out of the engine and filter.
2. ACDelco PF2232 Professional Engine Oil Filter
This is another powerful oil filter that is designed for the vehicle. It is integrated with 98% multi-pass filtering efficiency between 24 microns and 30 microns for advanced filtering abilities.
The filter encompasses cellulose media that collected particles up to ⅓ width of a hair. This ensures that the engine components get a clean supply of oil.
Moreover, the unit features a thermosetting adhesive seal to secure the filtering media to provide consistent and reliable filtration. This professional engine oil filter is integrated with advanced filter capacity in order to offer reliable flow management and a highly durable design for excellent filtering performance.
The product also offers strength, which is 5x greater than standard engine oil operating pressures post the oil hits the operating temperature. This further adds to the durability of the engine oil filter.
- It features 98% multi-pass filtering efficiency.
- It incorporates cellulose media for better filtration.
- The unit has an advanced filter capacity for reliable performance.
- It comes with a thermosetting adhesive seal.
- It offers consistent flow management and a durable design
- The unit is five times stronger than the operating pressure of most engine oil after it hit the operating temperature.
3. iFJF 68235275AA Fuel Filter and 68229402AA Oil filter
This advanced oil filter is designed to support the versatile needs of your engine to offer a maximum flow of fuel by seamlessly filtering out water and contaminants.
It is integrated with premium filtration media for high flow rate and high-efficiency infiltration in order to enhance engine performance.
Moreover, the high filter surface area allows the unit to trap dirt in more capacity. It can efficiently screen out 98% of the abrasives, including dust, carbon sand, metal bits, etc.
- The unit filters out harmful contaminants to provide efficient fuel flow.
- It offers high flow rates and advanced filtration efficiency.
- The product has more filter surface area to offer more dirt holding capacity.
- It can remove 98% of debris, including sand, dust, carbon, metal particles, etc.
4. ACDelco GM Original Equipment PF2262G Engine Oil Filter and Cap Seal (O-Ring)
The next product on our list comes with a 98% multi-pass filtering efficiency between 25 microns and 30 microns. It also comes with cellulose media, which efficiently traps particles up to 1.3 widths of human hair.
Additionally, the burst strength of this unit is five times greater than a majority of engines post the oil reaches its operating temperature. Moreover, the engine oil filter meets coverage of around 98% of the cars, sports utility vehicles, and light dirty trucks.
The wide compatibility of the product certainly adds to its popularity. The parts of the ACDelco GM Original Equipment parts are developed and tested to comply with strict standards and features the reliability of General Motors.
The company develops OE parts for various vehicle brands such as GMC, Chevrolet, Cadillac, or Buick.
- It features 98% multi-pass filtering efficiency ranging from 25 microns to 30 microns.
- The unit comes with cellulose media for a clean supply of oil to the components of the engine.
- The burst-strength is five times greater as compared to most oil operating pressures.
- Compatibility with 98% of different vehicles, including cars, sport utility vehicles, light-duty trucks, etc.
- The filter is designed and tested by the company to meet rigorous standards.
5. Mopar Dodge 5083285AA Oil Filter
Mopar is one of the most popular oil filter brands available in the market. This Genuine OEM features ready to push the existing filtration efficiency forward.
There are only a couple of manufacturers in the automotive industry that can surpass the performance. 3285AA is one of the reasons to ascertain brand value.
The effective oil filter for 5.9 Cummins diesel amalgamates different features of efficiency. The structural design is strong and designed to provide durability with adequate thickness to bear intense stress.
A basic 30-micron filter is capable of taking out a lot of damaging particles at one go. Moreover, the reduced dry startup to secure the actual efficiency of the engine from the get-go. The unit supports 6.7-liter as well as 5.9-liter engine systems.
- It exhibits a specialized frame is designed to provide longevity.
- The units feature a 30-microns filter for efficient filtration.
- It supports the 6.7-liter and 5.9-liter engine system.
- The intact sealing protects against any leakage.
6. K&N Premium Oil Filter
The K&N premium oil filter integrates 17 mm exposed nuts, which makes it easier to remove the filter. The unit has a heavy-duty construction, which makes it ideal to use even in extreme conditions. Moreover, the resin-incorporated filter media assist in collecting 99% of harmful elements and provide a smoother ride.
The unit has been designed to be used on motorcycles and many other power sport engines. Moreover, the unit is thoroughly tested to make sure it offers the required strength and capacity to offer the expected performance.
The unit comes with a wrench, which makes it easier to remove. The manufacturer offers a one-year limited warranty with the oil filter, which adds to the reliability of the product.
- The unit offers excellent and consistent flow rates.
- It works well well with all conventional, synthetic, and blended motor oils.
- The pleated synthetic-blend filtration system is capable of taking out over 90% of all contaminants.
- It features a heavy-duty canister for exceptional durability
- The unit comes with a one-year limited warranty.
7. Wix 51060 Oil Filter
This brand has provided the market with some exceptional air, oil, and fuel filters. With regards to oil filters, the company extends three options for light trucks. And this is one of the products that stands out.
It comes with a hydrogenated nitrile sealing gasket. This improves the durability of the product, especially at high temperatures. Metal end caps, steel baseplate, and metal center tube are some of the key features of the product. Additionally, the bypass materials also serve as a coiled spring.
You will also find an anti-drain back valve, which uses silicone. The silicone material tends to last longer than rubber and does a great job at maintaining the form at extreme temperatures. The construction of the materials is exceptionally strong.
It uses synthetic materials covering 55.5 square inches of areas. The unit is capable of trapping 99% of the dirt particles, providing a clean oil supply. A great feature of this product is that it is wired back, which keeps the filter stable and secure.
- It covers 55.5 inches to trap 99% of the dust particles.
- The unit comes with a wired back feature to provide stability.
- The silicone anti-drain back valve offers greater durability.
- Hydrogenated nitrile sealing gasket offers better performance at a higher temperature.
8. Royal Purple 40-780 Oil Filter
The last product on our list is by a well-reckoned brand in the industry- Royal Purple. It comes with 100% synthetic micro-glass media that ensure almost all particles are removed to provide a clean supply of oil. Moreover, with 25 microns, the product offers 99% filtration efficiency.
When it comes to choosing an oil filter, you need a unit that can offer robust performance. This product is integrated with a silicone anti-drain back valve to protect the dry start and provide high performance.
Moreover, the ultra-strength filter, which is integrated into the system, is capable of withstanding higher burst strength in comparison to many other conventional filters.
- It comes with 100% synthetic micro-glass media for the more precise dirt removal.
- The product has 25 microns that offer 99% filtration efficiency.
- Heavy-duty rubber gasket to protect any leakage
- Advanced silicone anti-drain back valve for better performance.
Diesel Oil Filter Buying Guide
Following are some vital factors that you need to consider when buying diesel oil filter:
Oil filters feature various filtration media or membranes. Since this element is responsible for the main filtration, it is imperative to ensure that you select the best. Following are the types of materials that you will commonly across:
- Synthetic: This media is likely to be integrated into the high-end oil filters. Synthetic filtration media is designed to trap 50% of contaminants ranging from 20 to 40 microns. Moreover, it can remove 24% of the particles that range between 8 and 10 microns. With this media, you have to change your oil filters once you cover 5,000 to 7,000 miles.
- Cellulose: This type of media is disposable in nature. Cellulose filtration media is capable of removing contaminants ranging from 8 to 10 microns and are capable of cleaning up around 40% of your engine oil.
- Micro Glass: This is the most preferred filtration media for premium oil filters. The filter media is designed using a fiver that is ten times finer in comparison to cellulose fibers. It significantly reduces the restriction of the oil flow to prevent buildup of contaminants. Therefore you will only need to change the filter once you reach 10,000 miles.
The Model Number or Size
Similar to every other aspect associated with the vehicle, oil filters also come in different sizes, and to get the desired results, you need to choose the right size that fits your car properly.
Some cars are compatible with any kind of oil filter, whereas some car models need a particular size filter to align with the vehicle. To determine what size diesel filter you should be looking for, you should read the manual. If you are not able to find it, take help from your mechanic.
The Build Quality
For a durable performance, it is important to make sure that the diesel filter is made from high-quality material.
This will ensure that the unit continues to function efficiently in extreme weather conditions. You may have to spend a little extra money to buy a quality filter, but this is an area where you should not compromise on quality.
With regards to oil filters, the term capacity implies the ability to collect contaminants. And this is determined by the kind of filtration media and construction the product imbibes. The larger the capacity, the more time you will be able to use the filter before you have to change it.
Generally, oil filters come with a minimum holding capacity of 10 grams. And when the bypass capacity is reached, then the bypass valves work to let the unfiltered oil move through different components of the engine.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do diesel engines have oil filters?
Yes, diesel engines also boast oil filters. In fact, the oil filters on diesel engines are larger than gasoline engines. They also come with greater holding capacity as opposed to their counterparts.
Moreover, many heavy-duty trucks come with two separate oil filter bypass filters and full-flow filters. This helps in ensuring adequate filtration of oil in different driving conditions.
2. Can I use the same oil filter twice?
You can safely use any type of filter with any type of oil. But in case you practice longer drain intervals with synthetic oil, then a standard oil filter may not provide adequate service life.
This means that you are likely to end up changing the filter in the middle of the drain interval of the oil. And this can be quite inconvenient and costly.
3. Can I change oil without changing the filter?
While it is entirely possible to change the oil without changing the filter, it is never recommended. This is because metal particles tend to be small to be stopped by the filter and would still pass through and reach between the moving parts.
This can result in wear outs. And when the filter is already clogged with debris, it does not efficiently filter after you have changed it. So it is recommended to change the oil filter and oil in a timely manner.
4. Is it necessary to change the oil filter every time you change the oil?
Oil and filter are two components that need to change frequently to ensure that the engine works efficiently. When you read through the vehicle’s manual, it will recommend you to change the oil filter every time you change the oil.
Moreover, the technician would also recommend you change the filter every time you change the oil. So you can expect to invest in oil and filter once you reach around 3,000 to 5,000 miles.
5. How long will an oil filter last?
When it comes to determining the longevity of the oil filter, you have to consider several factors. Different types of filters have various levels of durability.
But considering that you need to change the oil filter whenever you change the oil, it will last up to the time when your vehicle hits the mark between 3000 and 5000 miles.
Choosing the quality oil filter can significantly impact the performance of your engine. With a myriad of options, it can be complex to choose a reliable oil filter. But above, we have shared some of the best oil filters available for diesel engines to make things easier for you.
You cannot be just done with merely choosing a good oil filter. It is important to make sure you change the oil filter whenever you are changing the oil. This will ascertain your engine continues to perform smoothly for a long time period.